What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

18 April 2011

O is for Omniscient

As in, the third-person omniscient narrative. Because as in life, the more I research writing, the more I find out that I know jack squat. (Sorry for the cliché. My originality-o-meter is broken.)

Now if I could tell you what the bear
is thinking, then I would be
omniscient.
What I've always thought of as third-person omniscient, it turns out, is actually third-person multiple. Or so says my friend Wikipedia. Kinda. Because the more I read, the more I think "what the heck?" about points of view.

So, here goes. I write almost exclusively in third person limited. First person only works for me sometimes. And I might just tear out my hair if I have to remember what every single person is thinking all the time, so I'm not wild about being omniscient, although I can see where it might have some uses.

Never mind. I'm going to go write something now, and see what point of view comes out. This should be interesting.

What can you tell me about point of view?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

each point of view is self interested.

Larri said...

I'm new to writing, and find point of view confusing. I'm reading a book right now that is third-person multiple...and it's difficult as a reader to keep up with everyone! LOL Great 'O' post. Happy Tuesday! :o)

Su said...

@Charlie: An excellent point, although I'm not sure it will help me much while writing.

@Seams: Happy Tuesday to you! I'm spending all my time confused these days.