What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

04 August 2010

Old People On Campus: 10 Reasons I love being Non-Traditional



Clearly, someone has been taking pictures of me on campus.







Anyway! Expect me to add to this list once the fall semester starts. But for now, here ya go:

1. Traditional students hate us.
That's right, non-trads are the scary people who ask lots of questions, take class really seriously, and get good grades, thus annoying those traditionals who are a bit less intense about their education. Which means some of them will go to great lengths to avoid me altogether.

2. Except the ones who love us.
The traditional students who are also serious about their education like it when non-trads take the brunt of the traditional students' ire; it makes their lives easier. Also, your serious traditional student knows who he/she wants to buddy up with when it's group project time.

3. And either way, their remarks just bounce off.
Call me all the names you want, annoyed traditional student; I'll have already forgotten you by the time I get to the library to do my research. Or you might be lucky enough to get your own nickname, like Annoying Guy; then I'll just use you as blog fodder.

4. I get tired at 9 PM.
I must do my homework early in the day, because I can't possibly pull an all-nighter. And then I can show up in class the next day feeling refreshed because I went to bed at an old person's bedtime.

5. There is no boy/girl drama for me.
I'm pretty sure this is true for most unmarried non-trads, too, but I can only speak from my married experience. Who's dating whom? Does he like her? Will there be a cute boy in my English class? All questions that I don't have to answer.

6. Or any sororities, either.
I'm sure they have their place for people who are out on their own for the first time and like the idea of having a group of friends all ready & waiting for them to join. But I'm not and I don't, and besides, all the stuff they do costs money. No, thanks.

7. The instructors tend to like us.
This would be a by-product of that "serious student" thing in #1. Don't worry, serious traditionals; the instructors will like you, too. It's the "serious" in this case, not the age, that brings the end result.

8. If I get pregnant while at university, it's a blessing and not a curse.
Yep, I just warn my instructors in one semester about morning sickness and make arrangements for giving birth in the next semester. That's not to say it won't be hard, but rather that I have a plan already in place that doesn't include the words, "Hey, Mum & Dad, I'm moving back in. How do you feel about babysitting?"

9. I can't live in on-campus housing.
Halelujah!

10. But I can make my own food, and need not spend piles of money feeding myself.
No long lines at on-campus or nearby restaurants for me; I brought a sandwich! And some chips! And a water bottle! And a piece of fruit for afters! So I can get some studying done during lunch, and possibly have my evening free.

Yep, I expect this list to grow as time goes on.

12 comments:

Chadwick said...

I am glad you see all of this as beneficial. Try to get along. :)

Su said...

Why? It's more fun to be a jerk.

Penciler of Songs said...

I think non-trads are terrifical! Y'all need to see Beezus and Ramona as soon as possible

Su said...

When does it come out on DVD?

Amanda Greene said...

The last part of #2 is good to know :)
And Annoying Guy made me laugh :D

Su said...

Yes. Remember that one. :)

I was accidentally rude to Annoying Guy today, but I'm pretty sure he's over it.

Timbra Wiist said...

for your sake, i hope at some point during your university career you do have to say "mum, dad. . . .there's something I have to tell you . . . ." just glad you won't have to move in with them after the announcement, this is a fun list!!!

Su said...

I've had a plan for telling the parents for four years & haven't had a chance to use it yet. So, yeah, I'd like to be able to use it soon. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this, because I was(like you) the semi-older person in class; although, there was always someone in their 50's going through a mid-life crisis. I had an 1 1/2 hour commute, a family back at home, and a well planned study schedule. Lessons I learned: 1.)Leave home with time to spare 2.)Get to class early enough to get the preferred seat 3.)Use time in between classes to get homework/studying done 4.)Study groups bite! / and so do group projects! 5.)Back of the room=boring class/ Front=really interesting or kiss-up seat! 6.)Loved getting back home to my babies!/But was good for my sanity to get out of the house for a little while 7.)I definitely couldn't be a truck driver!

Unknown said...

:)

Anonymous said...

How old is the oldest student you have encountered? I may need to go back, and I am well over 30 years old!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and it' s not a mid-life crisis. I have $ and true love. I am just not wanting to spend the next 20 years puttering around ( regarding person talking about 50 year olds in blog earlier).