What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

20 December 2010

Be Jolly By Golly Blogfest

Do you remember me mentioning that I joined every blogfest going? Yes? Good.


The Rules (from Jen's blog):
1.Blog Post to be posted on December 20th (whatever time you desire)
2.Show pictures of your decorations, holiday lights & Christmas tree!
3.Share your favorite treat (Recipe included, chance for others to steal the yumminess!)
4.Share your favorite drink (Recipe included, chance for others to steal the alcohol – or non)
5.Last but not least… visit others!!! Take part in their holiday cheer!

Note: For those who don’t celebrate Christmas, you’re welcome to share any other holiday you are celebrating in this year!


1. Check.


2. Well, here's the deal. We in the Cheeky house celebrate the 12 Days of Christmas. (Yes, if you've already been celebrating the 12 days of Christmas, you came to the party early. Leave some appetizers for the rest of us!) So, we put up our tree and other decorations on Christmas Eve, leave them up through the 12 days of Christmas, and take them down on Epiphany (Three Kings Day), which is January 6th. And therefore, there are no decorations up yet inside the Cheeky house. However, 




we have put up the outdoor lights, and at least one neighbour is enjoying them.


3. It's hard to pick just one treat that we particularly like, although I do have a recipe for chocolate fudge that we really only make at this time of year:



POTATO FUDGE


3 T shortening
3 T butter
½ c plus 1 T cocoa
⅓ c mashed potatoes
⅛ t salt
1 t vanilla
1 lb powdered sugar
½ c chopped nuts (optional)

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt shortening and butter in the microwave. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Add potatoes, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Blend in powdered sugar, mix and add nuts. Dough will be very lumpy. Knead until smooth. Press into a buttered 8x8 inch pan. Cool in the refrigerator before cutting. Makes 64 pieces.


I promise that you can't taste the potatoes. Really. They just bind everything together, basically. As you can plainly read, there is an unreal amount of sugar in this stuff. People have been known to go mad after eating it. Proceed with caution.


4. I'm drinking this right now! No alcohol involved... although I'm sure you can add some. As I understand it, rum is the traditional addition.



Christmas Wassail

2 lg. cans pineapple juice
5 sm. cans frozen orange juice
2 sm. cans frozen lemonade
⅓ c tea
4 T whole cloves
2 T whole cinnamon
1 sm. pkg. red hots
2 c sugar in 1 qt water
Red food colouring

Make simple syrup of sugar and water; add spice tied in a cloth and simmer while mixing juices.  (Be sure to add all water called for on juice cans.)  Steep tea only 3 minutes in 1 quart water.  Dissolve red hots in 1 c boiling water and add to syrup mixture after removing spices.  (Be sure to mash out as much strength from spices as possible before removing from water.)  Add tea, juices and food colouring.  Makes about three gallons.  May be served hot or cold, but it's much better hot.

Editorial note: I don't put the spices in a cheescloth; I cut a slice of orange, poke cloves in it, and toss it in. And I put the cinnamon sticks in loose-- it's not like anybody's going to drink those by mistake. Nor do I add all the water the juice cans call for; I start putting stuff in the crock pot and stop when it gets full. I don't bother with the food colouring, either. 
And for my non-US friends: Red hots are small cinnamon candies. Just use whatever you have available.

The most recent wassail batch; I just sliced up the whole
orange & tossed it in. The specky one is the slice with the cloves.
5. Here I come a-visiting, among the leaves so green... ♪♫♪  Happy holidays, my friends!

24 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Potato fudge sounds yummy - if a little strange. I mean whoever thought of adding potato to a fudge mixture? As for that drink? Delicious. As a non-alchol drinker I get so bored being offered fruit/carbonated drinks all the time.

Su said...

Yeah, it is strange. I usually wait until after people try it to tell them what's in it. ;)

I love the wassail; my husband does not. More for me, I say. :)

Chris Phillips said...

My wife likes wassail. I still need to try it.

Mary Mary said...

Wassail. Mmmm. Makes you feel cozy and warm. Yours looks good! Have a great Christmas!

♥ Mary Mary

Avalon Cat Cartoon said...

Are your really participating in every blogfest?! Awesome! I'll be watching this site.

Vanessa Morgan said...

Great post. Happy Holidays!

Su said...

@Chris: You should! It's great.

@Mary: AND it makes the house smell nice. :) Happy Christmas to you as well.

@Avalon: No, not really. I've done about five in the past two weeks, though, which is a departure from my usual "none".

@Vanessa: Happy holidays to you!

Kimberly said...

I've never heard of potato fudge. My son is a fudge maker and I'll just bet he'd like to try this!

Happy Holidays!

Kelly Polark said...

I make a similar wassail. Not only is it delicious, but it makes the house smell so good!
Merry Christmas!

Su said...

@Kimberly: It's fabulous, but people will seriously wonder if you put an illicit chemical in it.

@Kelly: Yes, it does! I love a wassail-scented house!

Unknown said...

Love outdoor lights!
I should put some up here sometime...
Happy Christmas :-)

RaShelle Workman said...

Never heard of potato fundge. Thanks for the recipe. =D

RaShelle Workman said...

Whoops - fudge. LOL

Brenda Drake said...

Never had potato fudge, but if it makes me go mad after eating it, I'm all for it. Thanks for sharing and have a Merry Christmas! :D

Su said...

@Rachel: When I was growing up, I always said I would have outdoor lights when I had my own house, because my parents are very anti-outdoor decorating. So, I put up my outside lights first! Happy Christmas to you!

@RaShelle: You're welcome! I hope you like it.

@Brenda: Can't say you weren't warned. ;) Happy Christmas to you.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Never heard of potato fudge before. Interesting! Merry Christmas!

Elizabeth Briggs said...

Ooh I've never heard of wassail before...thanks!

Su said...

You all make me feel like I'm educating the public! :D Thanks for stopping by!

Jennie Bailey said...

Potato fudge - never heard of such a thing! I wonder if I'm brave enough to try it. It does have two of my faves - chocolate and potatoes! Have a Merry Christmas!!

Su said...

I promise that you can't taste the potatoes-- all the cocoa & sugar pretty much guarantee that. It's very good! And a Happy Christmas to you!

Anonymous said...

I've never had potato fudge before. Sounds interesting.

Tara said...

I will have to try that fudge - love finding new recipes like this.

Happy Holidays.

Su said...

Happy holidays! And do have some fudge. :)

Danette said...

Sounds great and love hearing about your tradition of the 12 days.

Be jolly by golly!