What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

11 December 2010

Natasha and Clayton: A Midwinter Blogfest

Marieke is having a Midwinter Blogfest! Here's the description:
What does your MC do for Midwinter? Any special celebrations? Yule, Christmas? Celebrations for a midwinter solstice? A Festival of Light? A Wild Hunt? Perhaps something else completely? Christmas on the beach or winter in June? Maybe your MC has good memories of a winter’s day past when life was easier before the story you as Evil Writer wrote?
If you'd like to enter, it's not too late; skip over to Marieke's blog and throw your hat in. Or whatever the saying is.

So, this scene is (kinda) from my NaNo novel; that is to say, it's planned, but this is all that I've written of the Christmas chapter. It was kind of fun to skip waaaaaaaaaaay ahead and write a scene!



Knock, knock, knock.

“Mmmmm.”

Knock, knock, knock.

“Mmmmm?”

Knock, knock. “C’mon, Nat, wake up!”

Natasha rolled over and opened her eyes. “What do you want, Mitzi?”

Mitzi opened the door. “I want to give you your Christmas present.” She had a big grin on her face.

“What, right now? I thought we were doing Christmas with your parents this evening?”

“Well… I changed my mind. Can I bring it in?”

“Sure.” Natasha pushed the covers back.

“Oh, no, don’t get up,” Mitzi said. “Just sit back.”

“This should be good,” Natasha said to herself as she sat back and rearranged the blanket over her legs. She looked at the door, wondering what Mitzi could have gotten her that couldn’t wait until later.

Mitzi reappeared, still smiling. “Okay, Nat, here it is,” she said, then stepped back.

Clayton walked through the door, complete with breakfast tray.

“Clayton!” Natasha shrieked. “What are you doing here?”

“Bringing you breakfast,” he said, with a grin. He brought the tray over and set it on the bed. “And flowers,” he added. “And a kiss.” He moved in closer, and Natasha wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Ick!” Mitzi said from the doorway. “I’m going to be downstairs.”

“Good,” Natasha murrmured. She smiled at Clayton before sharing a Christmas kiss.

“But seriously,” she said as she pulled away, “what are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be in Indiana!”

“I wanted to surprise you,” he explained. “I told my parents I wanted to spend Christmas with you. I’ll fly out tomorrow.”

Natasha smiled. “Wow,” she said. “So what’s for breakfast?”

He pulled the tray closer. “Waffles with strawberries and whipped cream,” he said as he handed her a fork. “Dig in.”

Instead, Natasha picked up the flowers and smelled them. “How did you know that I liked lilies?” she asked.

“Mitzi,” he answered. “She helped me plan this after I told her I wanted to surprise you for Christmas.”

Natasha took a bite of waffle. “Did you make these yourself?” she asked.

He grinned. “Are you kidding? It’s a mix.”

“It’s good. And the strawberries are perfect.”

“So, what do you think?” he asked.

“I think you should have worn a bow on your head,” Natasha teased him.

“Really?” He looked panicked.

“No. I think this is the best Christmas gift ever.” She leaned in close to kiss him again. He hugged her tightly as she closed her eyes and thanked God that he had decided to stay for Christmas.

“Well,” he said as they parted again, “the waffles are going to get cold if we keep this up.”

Natasha smiled and picke up her fork. “Merry Christmas, Clayton.”

“Merry Christmas, Natasha.”

15 comments:

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Awwwwwww, so cute! What a romantic Clayton is, and Nat's done very nicely for herself there. ;)

best
F

Rachael Harrie said...

Aw, that's so sweet! What a lovely Christmas interlude :)

Rach

Su said...

Thanks! Can't do sweetness and light for the whole book, but it's okay for Christmas, right? :)

N. R. Williams said...

Nice to meet you. I enjoyed your story, good job.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Su said...

Thank you!

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas present to me!

Su said...

I'm hoping my husband will read it and bring me waffles in bed on Christmas morning. :D

Brenda Drake said...

Awwww, how sweet is that? Breakfast brought to you in bed by a hottie on Christmas morning. *runs off to add to x-mas list* Nice job! :D

Su said...

Not just any old breakfast, either-- I love strawberry waffles! :)

Unknown said...

What a sweet story for Christmas :-)
I'm glad some of the entries are happy ones!

Su said...

Thanks. Although the sad ones were good, too!

Marieke said...

Awwww, that's completely adorable!!! :D

Su said...

Thank you! It was very fun to write a sweet scene.

Golden Eagle said...

What a great story. :)

Loved reading your blogfest post!

Su said...

Thanks! I had a lot of fun writing for all these blogfests that are going around.