What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

23 December 2010

Toastmasters

Chad joined Toastmasters a couple of months ago, and has since been badgering me to come along, try it, and join in myself.

I have no intention of diverting my attention from writing to speeching, however.

But, I did go along to their last meeting of the year, which included a holiday potluck, and as a bonus I brought along Chad's (okay, my) contribution to the spread. And it was a great spread, by the way; the food was fabulous.

None of this at the Toastmasters
meeting.
For a long time, I was under the impression that Toastmasters make toast. Alas, that is not the case; no half-burned bread in sight. And I was so hoping to have Nutella on mine. Sigh.

Many of them recognised me, because Chad illustrated his "introduction" speech with a picture of me making a strange face, and the Su-ness came through enough that the gang knew who I was. There were speeches, there were critiques, and they all addressed me formally as "Honoured Guest" when speaking. Nice.

Altogether, they're a fun bunch. And I can definitely see the importance of improving one's speech-making skills, but as already mentioned, I'm currently occupied with writing. Besides, I've had a couple of brilliant speech teachers in my life (one in high school--really!, and one in college).

And on the way home, I found out how to get to Hobby Lobby. Now, there's information I can use.

No comments: